Incessant Rant
The Incessant Rant Home Page

Welcome to The INCESSANT RANT. On our worst day this site will embody .00000001% of the world’s opinion. Considering the world population increases by three every second, I'm going to have to persuade just under 260,000 people to agree with me daily if only to break even. I'm screwed...


The Incessant Rant Home Page

My Photo
Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

I'm a Conservative Troglodyte who puts more emphasis on common sense rather than political parties.

E-Mail Me

The Incessant Rant Home Page

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Sponge Bob Square Pants for Mayor...

DEMOCRAT NH State Representative Susan Almy must be considering a run for Student Council President. She wants to give towns and cities the option of providing voting rights to juveniles age 14 and up. She’s working on a State Bill to do just that. Of course, she wants 14 & 15 year olds to get ¼ votes in local elections only. 16 & 17 year olds would get ½ votes.

"I thought that it might be interesting to see if we could get a couple of towns to try doing this as an experiment to see how it would go," Almy said.

"It seems to me that it would be extremely interesting to allow younger youths who were starting to think about civic affairs to be able to start voting in school."
(Article here)


Oh, wonderful. A captive environment with an admitted Leftist bias serving as a polling "palace" for a juvenile electorate.

Forgive me if I don’t think this is a good idea. Courting the “young vote” is an admirable cause. Creating the “younger still vote” isn’t. Her rationalization is that it would raise interest among America’s youth in civic affairs. Is this just another attempt at indoctrination? Probably.

I won’t insult all of America’s youth and conclusively state that 14 year olds are not prepared to make such binding decisions. I’ve met some that instilled a greater sense of confidence in me than a significant number of adults who voted in the 2004 General Election. I, will, however, state that kids need the opportunity to be kids first.

Why stop with 14 year olds? Let’s move it down to 10 years old and start a PAC for Sponge Bob Square Pants. I hear he is a fiscal Conservative capitalist…

|
The Incessant Rant Home Page
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
The misguided