Incessant Rant
The Incessant Rant Home Page

Welcome to The INCESSANT RANT. On our worst day this site will embody .00000001% of the world’s opinion. Considering the world population increases by three every second, I'm going to have to persuade just under 260,000 people to agree with me daily if only to break even. I'm screwed...


The Incessant Rant Home Page

My Photo
Name:
Location: Connecticut, United States

I'm a Conservative Troglodyte who puts more emphasis on common sense rather than political parties.

E-Mail Me

The Incessant Rant Home Page

Saturday, February 12, 2005

"By God, that woman wears pants"

Watching those card carrying members of the agenda driven media try to hang an albatross around the neck of Lt. General James N. Mattis is reminiscent of a departed great uncle of mine.

The Lt. General, you will recall was the Marine who let go of this little gem.

"Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight. You know, it's a hell of a hoot. It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right up front with you, I like brawling."


Followed by a nice healthy helping of:

"You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."

My great uncle was a coal miner his entire life. Much of his quality years were spent in less than ideal conditions, with less than perfect health consequences. It took a certain sort of determination and roughness to persevere. He was deaf as a door stop, and had a touch of black lung disease most of his 99 years. So, when he was in a public place that might not appreciate the full decibel brunt of his enhanced conversation he could have cared less. Great Uncle George used his “portable Walkman” voice out of necessity, not out of rudeness. Although, I believe his exact words in one flagrant conversation included the exclamation that “hearing aids were for old ladies and safe crackers.” I might have toned down his comments a tad. The man had a tendency to use expletives as adjectives.

He’d get some glances of disapproval when his voice carried across the parking lot, through the movie theater, or on the airliner. He saw the looks, and to be perfectly blunt in his own true essence, he didn’t give a good shit. He was plain spoken, loved a good joke, and didn’t mind reminding folks that life is a colorful experience that is best served sans earth tones.

He would have been on the phone to me the minute he read about the comments that came out of Lt. Gen. Mattis’ mouth. He would have been looking for some way to send the “jarhead” a case of the hometown brew from the Yuengling Brewery on Pottsville’s hillside. Nothing said “well done” like a case of Black and Tan in Great uncle George’s book. And, you had to do something he deemed worthy of recognition. That was no easy task.

My great uncle would have used one of his trademark lines had he been around to hear Lt. Gen. Mattis speak his mind.

“Now there’s a man who knows his God Damned job.”

Rough edges? Sure. But, Great Uncle George was one of the most decent men I’ve known. He didn’t have time for what he called “egg shell walkers.” He pulled me aside out of the blue one time at a relative’s birthday party and told me he had some advice for me. He’d had a couple beverages by that time, so I knew in advance that there wouldn’t be much of a buffer zone filtering out the crux. I’ll admit it now. I was his favorite nephew. So, by default, I was his well intentioned depository for aged wisdom.

Hand on my shoulder he looked me straight in the eye and gave it to me straight.

“If you say it…and you mean it…then damn it, make sure you sign your God Damned name to it.”

Great Uncle George would have liked the fact that Lt. Gen. James N. Mattis “signed” his God Damned name to it. Quite frankly, I think there are quite a few Marines who feel the same way.

That’s my take on the Lt. General’s comments. Kathleen Parker has her own take in the New Hampshire Union Leader. I like her view as well. Great uncle George might have offended her a bit in his take of her OpEd. However, she would have had to have known him to realize that his comments were a compliment and not a sexist attack. Great uncle George would have said, just a little louder than necessary…

By God, that woman wears pants.”

|
The Incessant Rant Home Page
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
The misguided